KJL LAW
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at law Office of KJLLAW
92128996

I had a racing in ghway, my speed was 80 and the speed limit

Customer Question

I had a racing in highway , my speed was 80 and the speed limit was 40. What is the sentence and if the judge decided to put me in jail can I pay finicial guarantee to prevent jail ?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 8 months ago.
What state are you located? What was the exact charge? Post a copy of the ticket for review.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
State is Alabama , I don't know what is the exact charge
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have attached the ticket
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 8 months ago.

The charge is categorized as a sped restriction, and s a misdemeanor. The statute allows, on a first conviction, for the court to impose a fine in the amount of five hundred dollars ($500) and imprisonment for a period of not less than five days nor more than 90 days, provided that the sentence of imprisonment shall be suspended and, in lieu thereof, the person shall serve 30 days probation. So if they do impose any jail time they will suspend it and impose a 30 day probation on you. Since it is misdemeanor you should consider hiring an attorney to try and have the charge dropped to a moving violation. Most people do not want a misdemeanor on their record, even a low level one such as this. So, as charged you probably will be placed on probation and have to pay a fine. Seriously consider hiring an attorney to appear in court for you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
like if the judge decided to give imprisoment I can't pay a Money to prevent jail ? Or someone can sponsor me and I don't go to jail ?
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 8 months ago.

No, most likely no jail, just a probation, you will have to pay the $500.00,but you can try and have the charge dropped to a lesser charge and there would be no jail or probation. The judge can also just impose a fine and no jail time, but there is no bond or sponsor to avoid the charges for this offense.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
what you mean by person should serve 30 day in probation?
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 8 months ago.

Yes, unless the judge agrees to impose a lesser sentence or no sentence. That's why you should go with an attorney to handle the negotiations with the prosecutor, its really in your best interest.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 8 months ago.

If you have any other questions, just ask. If not please rate the question for credit and tracking. If you don't rate the question, I will not get credit for my work.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 8 months ago.