How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Kim Courtney Your Own Question
Kim Courtney
Kim Courtney,
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 4215
Experience:  Founder/Member at Food Business Association
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Kim Courtney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have $20000 in fines paying ez pass tolls in MD. The car

Customer Question

I have $20000 in fines for not paying ez pass tolls in MD. The car was registered to my now deceased mother. I was in and out of the hospital last year and was not able to keep up with paying the tolls. I have asked the MTA for a court hearing so that í can explain my situation and pay the tolls but í cannot pay the fines. Any advice?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: I am on disability and support me and my two kids on $28000 a year
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Maryland
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Traffic Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Kim Courtney replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I am happy to assist you today.

Yes, I do have advice for you. First, there isn't much that easy pass can do to you initially if you don't pay, other than hurt your credit.

Once this goes into collection mode, you can negotiate down the amount that you owe. They would eventually have the right to do a collection court action against you, which is possible, and then IF they receive a court judgment against you, then they could do a separate action to attach your property or bank account. But when you get to the collection phase initially, you are in a very good position to negotiate down the debt and even get on a payment plan.

You also have the option of filing for bankruptcy, in which case you likely would not have to pay any of that debt.

Please let me know if you have any questions.