Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law

I recently received a Red Light Camera ticket, Left on a

Customer Question

Hi Pearl. I recently received a Red Light Camera ticket, for turning Left on a intersection into a shopping center (Target, etc) in Culver City. I was shocked because I never saw the sign signaling there would be a red light camera, and honestly I did not know I ran a red. The main light (not the arrow) was Yellow, as far as I can see in the picture, and so I must have been confused....Through google street map, I saw that there is a warning sign of Photo Enforcement, under a tree to the right of the street, when I was driving Left, in the Left Lane. I'd say tricky intersection (by the way beyond my car was a post office truck that was probably going 10 miles an hour). The total elapsed time between photo 1 and 2 is 2.36 sections. First Red Time is .15, and in the second photo 2.52. Speed 17mph. The photo pictures a woman wearing large sunglasses...was wondering is this could be helpful. Those are the basic details of my red light camera situation. i have not yet replied or looked up my deadline is aug 1...court in Santa Monica.
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: CA
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Traffic Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Culver City comes under LA County Superior Court and to this day no superior court in LA County is enforcing these tickets. So if the defendant never responds at all to the red light ticket and does nothing, in 1 year the tickets go in the trash and no enforcement action is taken. If you answer the citation though at all, then you are stuck having to go to court and you would need to present proof you did not actually run the red light which is tough to do depending on the photos. So, do not reply, do nothing and LA County Superior Court puts it in a file and it stays there as long as you do nothing.