CriminalDefense, Attorney
Experience:  9 + years in Traffic Ticket Defense, DUI/DWI and Criminal Defense cases

I was going 90mph in a 70mph zone, is it best if I get a

Customer Question

Hell I was going 90mph in a 70mph zone, is it best if I get a lawyer
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: North Carolina
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet I got it last night and no office is open on Sunday
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I had a ticket October 31st, 2015 but I got that completely dropped.
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: North Carolina
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Traffic Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  CriminalDefense replied 3 months ago.

It is certainly in your best interest to retain a traffic ticket defense attorney to represent you. The first thing which they will want to do, is review the face of the citation and see if there is a legal basis to get it dismissed. If not, they will then have to look over the facts of the case and decide if it is in your best interest to work out a plea deal or to take the case to trial and make the State prove the allegation(s) against you. The officer will need to be present. If he/she fails to appear at trial, the case will likely be dismissed, unless a continuance is granted by the Judge, upon the showing of good cause. If the officer does appear, your attorney will be given a chance to cross examine them and attack their credibility. The attorney is going to want to inspect their documents and log book, to make sure that the speed measuring device was properly calibrated, that they have the citation logged and are certified to use the equipment. Moreover, they will question them about their training and experience, trying to create doubt that they may have not known what they were doing and improperly measured your speed. They will also raise any other possible defenses, which you may have, to try and obtain a finding of not guilty.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My grandpa was on the way to the hospital and that's my reason for speeding. Do you think I will have to take the driving classes?

Yes. Even though I 100% understand the reason you were speeding, it is not a legal defense or basis to excuse it.