Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
10285032

I was charged with leaving the scene of an accident. There

Customer Question

I was charged with leaving the scene of an accident. There was damage to the other car. What should I expect when I go to court?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: South Carolina
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Traffic Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Have you submitted the claim to your insurance company yet to pay the damage to the other car?
What do you mean "what should I expect when I go to court?" Can you be a bit more specific?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My insurance company paid the claim. The ticket I was issued requested a 237.00 bond. Can it be more or is there possible jail time?
Thank you for your reply.
Under SC law, failure to report an accident is a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be imprisoned not more than one year or fined not less than one hundred dollars nor more than five thousand dollars, or both. If you prove to the court that all damages are paid, then typically there will not be any jail time at all, but only a fine which on average runs about $300 including court costs. It is very rare that for a charge like this that any jail time is given at all.