Albert Marmero
Albert Marmero,
Experience:  Partner at Long, Marmero, & Associates, LLP
93452170

I have a traffic ticket in nc said I was going 21 miles over

Customer Question

I have a traffic ticket in nc said I was going 21 miles over the speed limit I can not have a criminal charge due to being a nurse
Category: Traffic Law
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Don't want any more points on my license
Expert:  Albert Marmero replied 5 months ago.

Well, this will not be a considered a criminal charge, so you do not need to worry about that. However, a speeding ticket for 21 miles over the speed limit is serious, it does carry points, and it does not allow you to avail yourself of some of the opportunities offered to offenders in North Carolina with speeding tickets for 15 miles, or less, over the speed limit.

If you really want to avoid the points, I would suggest you hire a lawyer who practices very often in the county where you were ticketed. This will insure that you get the best outcome possible because your attorney is going to have to seek a plea bargain for you wherein you plead guilty to a lesser charge, and hopefully something without any points. If your lawyer is familiar with the judge and prosecutor, this will help.

If you cannot afford a lawyer, or do not want to hire one, you can still attempt to enter into a plea bargain. You will need to notify the Court as soon as possible that you are contesting the ticket and will be appearing in Court. Then, once at Court, tell the Prosecutor your situation and see if he will permit you to plead guilty to a lesser charge.

Your ability to plea bargain will be limited by your prior driving record. If you have prior offenses, the Court will be less inclined to allow a plea bargain for no points.

I hope this is helpful. Please provide a rating so I receive credit for promptly responding to you. Also, feel free to ask follow up questions. Thanks!

I never heard back from you on this. Did you have any further questions? Please provide a rating so I receive credit for my prompt response.