Legal-Kal
Legal-Kal, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney at Law Offices of Khaled Issa
90630425

I have a court hearing without insurance. My insurance was

Customer Question

I have a court hearing for driving without insurance. My insurance was canceled but I did not know. As soon as I got the ticket, I called my insurance and paid everything. They gave me a new insurance card effective that same day.
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New Jersey
JA: Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: first time offense
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Legal-Kal replied 8 months ago.

Good afternoon:

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to provide general information regarding your question.

You mention that you received your new insurance card effective "that same day." When you say that "same day" do you mean on the day you received the ticket?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I called the insurance company, they told me my policy was cancelled for non payment which I did not know. I paid everything and they gave me a new policy

Does your insurance card show the time that the new policy went into effect (for instance 4:00 p.m. on 6/14/2016 etc) or does is it just show the date the new policy went into effect?

This is a very important question as it may determine what the outcome of your ticket may be.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
just the date

Ok, thanks for that.

First, the good news. In no insurance tickets, prosecutors will generally look at the ticket that was issued and the insurance card that you bring to Court. If the date on the ticket is the same date as what is on the insurance card, the Court will dismiss the ticket. This is because they have hundreds of tickets every week where someone is ticketed for no insurance simply because they did not have the insurance card with them. Once the person brings the card to Court and the dates on the ticket and insurance card matches up, they will dismiss the case.

However, what I mentioned usually applies to when the date of the ticket is somewhere in between the effective dates on the insurance card. If the date of the ticket is the same date as the effective date of the insurance car, prosecutors may consider this as a red-flag. Some prosecutors will ask the Court for time to contact the insurance company to determine the timing of the effective date (i.e., to determine if the insurance covers before or after the time listed on the ticket).

In my experience, prosecutors rarely take this extra step because they are very busy with other cases. Also, the better a person's driving record is, the less likely they will take this extra step as they realize that this was a momentary lapse and it is not habitual on the part of the defendant.

Questions based on this?

I see you have read my response.

If you have questions, please ask.

If not, please remember that experts here are not employees of JustAnswer and are not credited for taking the time to assist individuals until they click ACCEPT and rate the assistance with three stars or higher. Please ensure to do this if you have no other questions.

Thank you!

Please remember that experts here assist individuals not as a hobby, but as their source of income. With this in mind, experts cannot be credited until the individual click accept. Your cooperation in this regard would be appreciated.

Please remember to click ACCEPT in keeping with the Terms of Service agreed upon if you have no other questions.

Please abide by the Terms of Service agreed upon by clicking ACCEPT to ensure future assistance.