Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

Customer Question

hI ; mY SON WAS HIT BY A TAXI DRIVER LAST dEC. tHIS WEEK WE RECEIVED A sUMMONS TO wITNESS FORM to appear in court on June 21, He suffers from anxiety and has been besides himself with worry about what the case will entail and what will be asked of him. there were 2 witnesses who confirmed that he stopped and then proceeded thru the intersection. The driver of the taxi car offered to pay for the damages on the spot but my son refused. We had to replace the car. Now, he is doubting his report and he is trying to determine what the purpose of the defendant is in going to court. Long story short, for anyone else this would be a non issue. For him it is mammoth. On his form it states that if he does not appear he will be fined etc. Can he have someone represent him in the proceedings if it comes to this on the day.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

As to what the purpose is, likely the DA did not offer him a plea bargain that was acceptable. That's usually the reason and, in addition, the defendant often pleads when it is time to go to trial.

As to having someone represent him, he can hire a lawyer and have them attend with him but if your son is just there as a witness there isn't much the lawyer can do.

He can only be represented by a lawyer, it's against the law for anyone else to appear for him, try to speak for him, etc.

Please ask any follow up questions in this thread.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This case is in Ontario, canada. It is my impression that there has been no plea bargaining but that the driver just wants to make the charges lighter.When you say represented by a lawyer what does this mean. I understand that in these cases some plea bargaining can occur before the trial . Is that the case/

This was in the US Legal category. Where does your son live, Canada or the US? Is the court he is supposed to be going to in Canada or the US?