Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

What is the penalties in Arizona to the owner of a vehicle

Customer Question

What is the penalties in Arizona to the owner of a vehicle for allowing someone to drive their vehicle on a suspended license
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

If an owner of a vehicle loans a vehicle to another person they know is incompetent, reckless or unlicensed, they can be liable for their action. The key is that the owner must know this before loaning the vehicle. Also, the owner must have given permission to use the vehicle. Express permission is when the owner says, "Take my car." Permission may be implied from the actions of the owner, such as a failure to object to the driver's use of the vehicle. Either type can be given.

In Arizona, an owner may be held liable for negligently entrusting their vehicle to another. In order for someone to negligently entrust their vehicle to another, the owner of the car must be aware that the driver is incompetent to operate it. As such, a vehicle owner who gives permission to an obviously intoxicated person may be liable for the driver’s actions.

You cannot be criminally prosecuted for negligent entrustment in Arizona. You may, however, face civil prosecution from a victim involved in an accident, or a deceased victim’s family. Criminal prosecutors may attempt to charge an owner for reckless endangerment, if anything, in a similar situation.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or number from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated by the site.