Ely, Attorney
Experience:  Private practice
7286322

I have a michigan license plate and it requires a renewal, I

Customer Question

I have a michigan license plate and it requires a renewal, I am a kentucky resident now and I have a Kentucky insurance. I got a renewal request letter from dmv michigan asking to submit my payment details along with the proof of insurance. Can I submit a copy of my Kentucky insurance for the same.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Legal-Kal replied 6 months ago.

Good evening:

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to provide general information regarding your question.

Now, there is really no "state specific" insurance company (i.e., an insurance company is an insurance company). What really matters is if you have the minimum legal required coverage. So long as you have proof of said insurance, then it doesn't matter "where" the insurance company is located (for instance, State Farm Insurance policies are out of "Illinois" because that is where they are headquartered, but every state allows a driver to have State Farm insurance).

Would you have the minimum MI insurance coverage from this "Kentucky" policy?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I got a letter saying " Michigan law requires all vehicle owners have Proof of Valid Michigan No-Fault insurance when registering a vehicle and while operating a vehicle on public roads".
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
To answer your question, I had a full protection in Michigan and I have a full protection in Kentucky.

Thank you for that information. Without knowing a little more about your exact policy and coverage purchased, it will be a tad difficult for me to answer your question.

What I will do at this point, however, is opt out of the question. This will open it up to another expert who may have a little more time to figure out the specific provisions of your policy.

Please wait for a new expert to greet you before typing anything here as that may delay getting the assistance you need. The new expert will also see everything discussed thus far, so there will be no need to re-type anything.

Thank you and good luck!