Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
10285032

My son got a speeding ticket in 2014. He completed a DMV

Customer Question

My son got a speeding ticket in 2014. He completed a DMV licensed online traffic school course. After recently being involved in a traffic accident he found out he never got credit for the traffic school resulting in a point on his record. He contacted the driving school a got a certificate showing he did complete the course. How does he go about getting the point removed. He's on my insurance and it went way, way, way up. We're trying to find the fasted way to take care of this. Thank You!
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You would need to present your proof of completion to the DMV showing it was completed within the allotted time and they have to correct the record. If DMV refuses to correct the record upon proof to them that the class was completed in time, then he has to file for an administrative appeal to go before a hearing officer to ask them to rule he receive credit for the class. If the hearing officer does not rule in his favor, then the final step is he has to file an appeal in court to get them to review the administrative decision and order the credit applied to his license record. I am afraid there is no real faster way to do this other than those steps.