Samuel-II
Samuel-II, Attorney
Experience:  I have been handling minor traffic offenses for more than 20 years.
10707909

I received a ticket VC22500(i) in an area . I was dropping

Customer Question

I received a ticket VC22500(i) for stopping in an area for buses. I was dropping my handicapped father off at the train station and this was the closest location for me to drop him off. All other drop off areas would have required him to walk with his luggage.
JA: OK. The Traffic Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: FYi, I am an attorney so I do understand legal speak
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Traffic Lawyer should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Traffic Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Samuel-II replied 6 months ago.

Hello

This is Samuel. I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard. What information do you need, please? What is the question in this regard?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is there a defense?

It appears the only exception under law is the following:

22500.5. Upon agreement between a transit system operating buses engaged as common carriers in local transportation and a public school district or private school, local authorities may, by ordinance, permit schoolbuses owned by, or operated under contract for, that public school district or private school to stop for the loading or unloading of passengers alongside any or all curb spaces designated for the loading or unloading of passengers of the transit system buses.

Of course, you can explain to the judge the situation. Present photo evidence of why the handicapped areas were not as convenient. And ask for the court's understanding and minimal penalty.