Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law

My wife was charged with a FAIL TO YEILD ROW-CHANGING LANES

Customer Question

My wife was charged with a FAIL TO YEILD ROW-CHANGING LANES in January 2016. She plead no contest and agree to complete defensive driving for $114 court fee and $49 class fee with DPS approved online course. She completed the course on 4.27.16 but due to a clerical errors, the certificate was not accepted at the court causing my wife to contact and obtain a revised certificate. It is now "late" even though she completed the class requirements and a warrant has been issued. I'm told by Universal City officials that she either pays $241 on top of the $114 we already paid or she can ask to see the judge by placing a $482 bond. I'm confused. First, she completed the course on time and the certificate was delayed. is there no way around that issue? Second, the cause against my wife says the fine is $161 for failure to complete - I don't see where or why it is now $241. Third, what happens to the court fee we already paid?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If the certificate is delayed, she is entitled to file a motion with the court for waiver of penalty, but they require a bond to be placed to file the motion which secures her appearance in court. Upon her proving to the court that the reason for the certificate delay was not her fault, the court will waive any penalties and all of the bond money will be returned to her. The bond is to insure her appearance in court when she files the motion. If the court finds that the certificate delay was indeed her fault, then any additional fines would come from the bond and anything left over would be returned to you.