How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 31025
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Greetings! Unfortunately, I passed a stpped school bus, by

Customer Question

Greetings! Unfortunately, I passed a stpped school bus, by accident. I have never had a point in my life. I'm 63, on permanent disability, single parent of a 16 yo adopted son, former professor w/doctorate, ALWAYS advocating for youth and education. I didn't even get a warning. The ticket was not speeding. But....6 points and $1095!!!!!!!!! I recently moved here from Michigan. I went to court and pleaded not guilty and asked for a continuance (June 9th), to get my finances together. The officer was there but didn't say anything. I can't afford to get a high end attorney. What can I do?
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Roger replied 6 months ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.
Expert:  Roger replied 6 months ago.
If you do not have any defenses to the charge, then the fate you've stated above is the maximum outcome in terms of fine and points.
Expert:  Roger replied 6 months ago.
You could ask the judge if you could attend driving school or receive some type of deferred adjudication of the offense -- which will usually avoid the points, but the fine will likely still be assessed.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Do I need a lawyer? And what does "defenses" mean?
Anyone here not to costly?
Expert:  Roger replied 6 months ago.
That's a discretionary matter for the court........and any offense involving school buses or children are handled with a heavy hand by the court. You'd be best served to consult a lawyer and discuss options -- such as driving school and deferred adjudication and the local judge's tendency to grant such relief. It'd likely be worth the cost of a consult to determine what options you have.
Expert:  Roger replied 6 months ago.
quot;Defenses" would be if you had an excuse or a basis for claiming that you did not do what you're charged with, etc.
Expert:  Roger replied 6 months ago.
Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!