Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

If I received an interlock devise and restricted drivers license

Customer Question

If I received an interlock devise and restricted drivers license in MN could I move to Wisconsin and get a new drivers license and be able to rent cars when I travel for work?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok so what is the response?
Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.
Unfortunately, no, this would not work because of the National Driver Registry. This national database has driver's license records for all the states culminated into one location, so your driving record, suspensions, etc. will follow you everywhere you go.
Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.
Here's a link to the NDR: http://www.nhtsa.gov/Data/National+Driver+Register+(NDR)
Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.
So, even if you applied for a new license in WI, your record in MN would inhibit your driving privileges there (or in any other state).
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
So is there any way I can rent a car with an interlock device for a year
Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.
The only way you could is if you can get the rental car company to allow you to install the device in your rental vehicle.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
So it is possible? Would I just call a head to the rental car place and ask for a remote device I would use?
Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.
Yes, it is possible......but it would just be an issue of whether the rental car company would allow it or not. They're under no legal obligation to do this, so it would simply be a preference issue.
Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.
More than likely, if you're willing to pay for the installation and if the installation will not harm the vehicle or damage the interior, then they'll likely approve it.
Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.
If you need anything further, please let me know. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!
Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.
Please let me know if you need anything further. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!