Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
10285032

I have a red light ticket here in Miami that is past due 4-22-2016.what

Customer Question

I have a red light ticket here in Miami that is past due 4-22-2016.what do i do?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Now that it is past due, you would have to go to the court and plead not guilty and set a trial date. This is not a bad thing other than the time it will take you to go to court. However, when you go to court and plead not guilty you can ask for a conference with the prosecutor and negotiate for what is called a deferred adjudication, where you pay the fine but it is dismissed. This is a better deal than simply pleading guilty and paying the citation. So go to the court and plead not guilty and get a court date and when you get to court on the court date you ask for a conference with the prosecutor to negotiate a deal.