Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law

I'm the owner of a car impounded in pleasant hill. It was impounded

Customer Question

I'm the owner of a car impounded in pleasant hill. It was impounded because expired plates (due to not pass smog) and my son driving with a suspended license (non-moving violations). As the owner, the police department will not release the car unless my son (non-owner of the car) gets his license reinstated. He's paid his fine, has receipts, but won't get his license processed for another 21 days. Why, as the owner of the car, can't I get my car out and not incur all these storage costs?
JA: OK. The Traffic Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Traffic Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else important you think the Traffic Lawyer should know?
Customer: No. That's it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Traffic Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. If your son was driving the car, they will not release the car without a court order. This means your son has to go to court with you and you have to ask the court for an order to release the car. The owner of the vehicle in these cases is liable for these violations and as such, they will hold the car until the matter is corrected or you get an order from the court for release.