Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

Just got pulled over after going to a gas station to get food.

Customer Question

Just got pulled over after going to a gas station to get food. I have a work permit. Cop says I can't get food only gas, takes me to jail. Do I not have a license now?
JA: OK. The Traffic Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Traffic Lawyer can help you best.
Customer: I was driving to work, and wanted something to eat so I stop by the gas station that is on my way to work. I pull out to leave and the cop pulls me over
JA: Is there anything else the Traffic Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: I didn't have all the appropriate paper work. The work permit paper work.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Traffic Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 5 months ago.
I am sorry, but I am having trouble understanding your post. Why would a cop pull you over for buying food at the gas station? What does this have to do with your work permit? Kindly clarify.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He ran my plate as I drove by him. Saw that I have a work permit only. He then made a U-turn to follow me. Found that I had pulled into a gas station and waited for me. As soon as I pulled out of the parking lot, he pulled me over telling that was violating the restrictions of my work permit by stopping to get food.
Thank you, ***** ***** still do not get it. Are you talking about a hardship license? Do you have a court date for this offense? Are you taThere is no work permit that s
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I got my 3rd DUI back in 2012. Last year I applied for a work permit so that I can drive to and from work. The cop says that I broke the law by stopping to get food. If I had stopped for gas, then I would have been OK to do that. I believe they took my license. So does that mean for the next two weeks I don't have a license, until I go to court May 13?
Thank you for the clarification. The only way to know if your license is infact revoked is to call the DMV. You cannot guess and I cannot guess. If your DMV is online, you need to go to their website to see if you can check for the status of your license. Most states now offer that service online. Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.