Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law

I have an ohio licesne to driver school bus if I get a ticket

Customer Question

I have an ohio licesne to driver school bus if I get a ticket for speeding in my personal vechile for a 20mph over limit can i still drive
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under OH law, anything over 15 over the limit "MAY" result in suspension of your CDL, even if it occurred in your personal vehicle. So you can still drive until you are found guilty or plead guilty and at that time it is up to the court to determine whether or not your CDL should be suspended given the circumstances of the situation. It is more likely to be suspended if you were driving a commercial vehicle at the time than your personal vehicle, but that is at the discretion of the court and also BMV as well. So chances are, that if this is a first offense and in a personal vehicle that if you are convicted of 15 over, your CDL will not be suspended this time.
However, I would still plead not guilty and go to court, because prosecutors often negotiate these tickets and are more likely to drop it to under 15 and you will avoid all possibilities.