Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

A Police officer came to my home on Friday 8th at about 5:30

Customer Question

A Police officer came to my home on Friday 8th at about 5:30 PM He asked if I had a red car I said yes. He said I had been seen going to slow on Seward Hwy ( I had been there at 5 PM) IHe said the speed limit was between 45-5- MPH There is a sign going noth that ways 45 MPH this is in town. None say 50 MPH So I corrected him. It was 5 PM Friday afternoon and the street was packed. I was almost at a standstill and traffi was in the intersection. I took the "free" left hand lane and turned left on a green light and there was no traffic I proceeded to my home less than a mile away at about 25 MPH in a residential district.
He said I almost caused an accident for goin too slowly. However if I had been going over 10 MPH I would have collided with the traffic at the intersection. This is an area that is always "packed" at 5 PM fridays.
He asked to see my license, I gave it to him He was on my property and I was in my robe Was sober and was not driving. He noted I was 82 and then said that I would be contacted by the DMV for a driver's test. No one has contacted me. He treated me and said if I did not respond they would take away my license.. I am a physician and am not impaired. I ski swim and hike.
He handed me a card with a number on in 16- 13483 It did not have the usual 3AN16 in front of the number He said it was not a ticket.
I went to a driving school to see if I should take a course or test and they said to wait.
I am concerned the Gestapo Anchorage Police will come and remove my license.
I was seen -- he said but lied_ by 2 who reported me driving too slow. NO ONE was going over 10-15 MPH if that fast and as I said the intersection was packed and they were probably going to be caught in a red light.
I fear goin to the Anchorage Police dpartment because of previous threats and brutality.
What should I do?? Jeanne R Bonar MD ***@******.***
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Wait to be contacted by the DMV. If no one contacts you, then you should do nothing. You cannot be given a ticket for driving slow since the officer did not observe you in the act. You cannot be given a ticket based on someone else's observation. Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.