Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
10285032

In texas do you need a CDL license to pull a recreational

Customer Question

in texas do you need a CDL license to pull a recreational horse trailer that weight 15000lb conbine weight of pickup and trailer is approx. 28000 lb it recreational only
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
A Texas CDL is required if you operate any of the following COMMERCIAL MOTOR VEHICLE'S
1. A vehicle with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than 26,000 lbs.
2. A vehicle towing a unit with a manufacturer's GVWR of more than 10,000 lbs. when the GCWR exceeds 26,000 lbs.
3. A vehicle used to carry 16 or more passengers (including the driver).
4. A vehicle carrying hazardous materials in amounts requiring placarding.
Since you are not pulling a COMMERCIAL vehicle, but a recreational one, there is no legal requirement for a CDL.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
where can I find the Texas definition of recreational vehicle and what kind of license plate would I need on this trailer
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
where can I find the Texas definition of recreational vehicle and what kind of license plate would I need on this trailer ?
Thank you for your reply.
If it is not used for commercial business purposes it can be tagged as a regular trailer. See: http://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/buying-or-selling-a-vehicle/trailers
Anything over 4000 pounds has to be registered in Texas as a regular manufactured trailer.