Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney
Experience:  18+ years of high-volume criminal defense work from arraignment through plea or trial.
18321761

Went to jail with invalid license

Customer Question

Went to jail for driving with invalid license for surcharge in Texas. I paid the surcharges. What should I do next? Get a lawyer. What kind? Live in small town and police searched my car without my consent. Was told I didn't use my blinker within 100 feet of turning while the officer was so close on my tail. Constantly followed when I return from work at night. I'm a nurse so I work shift work.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 8 months ago.
Hello, Driving without a valid license is not a traffic violation. It's a class B misdemeanor. You need a criminal lawyer. If you're a nurse you don't want a conviction on your record. If you fight the case, your lawyer would be able to challenge the stop and the search at a special pre-trial hearing. Alternatively, if you want to resolve this quickly, he may be able to bargain this down to a traffic infraction or find some other way to keep a conviciton off of your record.