Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Hoping to find some ideas a 21651A ticket.

Customer Question

hoping to find some ideas for contesting a 21651A ticket. there was no accident and I was travelling below speed limit.
JA: OK. The Traffic Lawyer will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: what other info would be helpful
JA: Anything else I can tell the Traffic Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: clean driving record and 43 yr old. it occurred on an exit ramp of 280N in San Francisco. I received notice for County of San MAteo but this occurred in San Francisco county- could this be a technicality to get off?
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Traffic Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 8 months ago.
The 21651A ticket means that you drove across the double yellow lines or barriers set up on the highway. If you did not do this, then you can use that as your defense--that you did not drive across the yellow lines/barriers. If the ticket was supposed to be in San Francisco County, but you received a notice from Sam Mateo County, that is not really a defense. The Court can easily correct the error. Here is the test of Vehicle Code section 21651: "21651. (a) Whenever a highway has been divided into two or more roadways by means of intermittent barriers or by means of a dividing section of not less than two feet in width, either unpaved or delineated by curbs, double-parallel lines, or other markings on the roadway, it is unlawful to do either of the following: (1) To drive any vehicle over, upon, or across the dividing section. (2) To make any left, semicircular, or U-turn with the vehicle on the divided highway, except through an opening in the barrier designated and intended by public authorities for the use of vehicles or through a plainly marked opening in the dividing section. (b) It is unlawful to drive any vehicle upon a highway, except to the right of an intermittent barrier or a dividing section which separates two or more opposing lanes of traffic. Except as otherwise provided in subdivision (c), a violation of this subdivision is a misdemeanor. (c) Any willful violation of subdivision (b) which results in injury to, or death of, a person shall be punished by imprisonment pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170 of the Penal Code, or imprisonment in a county jail for a period of not more than six months." Kindly give a positive rating to my post so that I can receive credit for answering your question—so that part of the deposit that you already paid to the site can be transferred to me. You are not charged extra for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm sorry, posting the traffic code is not helpful.. I looked up the code myself. I was hoping for useful procedural insight into how to reduce the likelihood of having to pay this fine, plead guilty and accept the 1 point on my DMV record
I will opt out and give another Attorney the opportunity to further assist you.