P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  12+ yrs. of legal experience.
11181181

I was cited in NJ with NJ drivers license. Since then I

Customer Question

I was cited for DUI in NJ with NJ drivers license. Since then I moved to Florida and obtained Florida license. Case was not tried yet. If I get convicted in NJ where DUI is a traffic offense, will it go on my Florida criminal record where the offense is a misdemeanor?
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Anything else I can tell the Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 8 months ago.
Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. I am here to help
Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.
NJ and FL are both members of the Drivers License Compact. This is a multi state agreement where the member states agree to enforce traffic citations. So a conviction in NJ will be reflected (and enforced) in FL. Bot***** *****ne: if you are convicted of DUI in NJ then FL will impose any suspension issued under NJ law.Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
That much I understand. My question was different, in NJ DUI is a traffic violation but in Florida it is a criminal offense a misdemeanor, which will be enforced and go on my record against me under this Compact, a traffic violation with whatever suspension is imposed or Florida misdemeanor?
Thanks. And sorry for the confusion.
The compact does not apply for criminal law (it is a compact for drivers licenses only).
So if you are convicted of a DUI in NJ, and they impose a sanction against your license, FL will honor that.
But the compact has no impact on your criminal record....so it is not like if you get convicted of DUI infraction in NJ that you would have a FL misdemeanor...it does not work like that.In other words, if you are not convicted of a crime in NJ? You will not have a criminal record in NJ or FL.