Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer. Former judicial law clerk. Worked for District Attorney's Office in Traffic Court.

I was in an accident and now asked to provide a recorded

Customer Question

I was in an accident and now asked to provide a recorded statement for my insurance company, I have no legal representation as I was not injured, I am not claiming any damages to my vehicle either as I am repairing it myself. I was at fault and have no representation. What should I do.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 6 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

You do not have to give a recorded statement if you're not asking the insurance company to pay for anything. However, if you are asking them to give you any money or the other party is claiming damages or an injury, the insurance company is going to need your side of the story to evaluate your claim. Their lawyers have the ability to subpoena you for a deposition if you refuse to give a recorded statement over the phone, and that could mean taking an entire day off work and going to sit in a room full of lawyers to answer questions. In that case, it's actually probably easier for you to give the statement.

You may also want to read through your insurance policy, because refusing to help them investigate a perceived loss could be grounds for them to cancel it, and then you'd have to get new insurance. If you'd feel more comfortable having a local attorney sit with you while you answer questions, you are allowed to hire someone. A good place to look is

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.