Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney
Experience:  18+ years of high-volume criminal defense work from arraignment through plea or trial.
18321761

I was stopped expired tag in Georgia about a month ago... I

Customer Question

I was stopped for a expired tag in Georgia about a month ago... I got the tag renewed a couple of days later. My court date is tomorrow morning.. Is it better for me to pay the fine online today or to go to court tomorrow morning and contact the prosecutor to see if he will drop the ticket.. Just didn't want this on my driving record
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 8 months ago.

Paying the fine online would be an admission of guilt. Once that's done, you will not be able to undo it and get the conviction off of your record.

If you show up with proof that your tag has been removed and can't negotiate a dismissal,you can still plead guilty in court and pay a fine. You won't have much to lose by waiting until tomorrow to pay.

Just make sure you don't plead guilty to the charge before you negotiate your disposition. Once you've pled guilty, it's too late to negotiate.