Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney
Experience:  18+ years of high-volume criminal defense work from arraignment through plea or trial.
18321761

I got a ticket tag. I moved here from North Carolina and did

Customer Question

I got a ticket for expired tag. I moved here from North Carolina and did not realize that the registration was tied to my driver's license birth date as I was told by the officer who ticketed me here in Georgia. Would you advise I appear in court or simply pay the $150 fine which is quite substantial for a $25 registration fee.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 8 months ago.

There's a saying you hear in courtrooms all of the time: "Ignorance of the law is no excuse." We are all deemed to know all the laws of the land, even though nobody really does. That's to prevent people from simply saying, "I just didn't know," in order to get away -- quite literally -- with murder and every other possible offense.

So while you can appear in court, you don't have a legal defense to this charge. You may be able to negotiate a lower fine by showing up. Or the police officer may not show and then you could ask for a dismissal. But you don't have a good case to fight under the facts that you've presented. You could wind up paying the $150 anyway and court costs besides.