Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney
Experience:  18+ years of high-volume criminal defense work from arraignment through plea or trial.
18321761

My registration has been suspended due to a lapse in

Customer Question

My registration has been suspended due to a lapse in insurance coverage. they said it is suspended for 59 days. I have car insurance now but do I still have to turn in my plates as I need my car to get to school and work. I live in NYC. Thanks
JA: OK. The Traffic Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no not yet
JA: Is there anything else the Traffic Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: No just that
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Traffic Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Customer: I checked the dmv website and my license in not suspended
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 8 months ago.

No, you don't have to surrender your plates and registration. You only have to do that if your suspension period is for more than 90 days, which yours is not. You can see this on the state's official website, here.

If you were without insurance for 90 days or less, you can pay your civil fine online and get your suspension lifted, now that you have insurance. You can read about this here. You could also go to the DMV if you'd prefer that.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm sorry I forgot to mention that I am ineligible to pay the civil penalty because I had a lapse before and I am only allowed to pay one time for 3 years
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 8 months ago.

Sorry to hear that. In any case, it doesn't change the answer to the question you asked. You are not required to turn in your plates and your registration if your suspension is for less than 91 days. You just cannot drive the vehicle while your registration is suspended, or they'll seize it if you're caught.