RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experience in numerous areas of the law.
18284290

I have to go to court at 1;30pm with a suspended liscense,

Customer Question

I have to go to court at 1;30pm for driving with a suspended liscense
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: like what
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Traffic Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.

So I can better answer your question, can you tell me what your legal question is please? Are you just wanting to know the potential penalties are?

Is this a first offense for you?

What state is this in?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
FL first time going to court

Thank you for your reply.

There are two types of driving on a suspended license violations in Florida -with and without knowledge. I am assuming you are going to court for driving on a suspended license with knowledge.

Under Section 322.34, Florida Statutes, a first offense for driving with a suspended license (with knowledge of the suspension, revocation, or cancellation) can result in 60 days jail and a fine of up to $500.00. A second offense may be charged as a first degree misdemeanor, which carries a maximum penalty of 1 year in jail. A third offense in Florida may result in felony charges, with up to 5 years in prison and maximum fine of $5,000. The knowledge requirement, under Florida law, is satisfied if the person has been previously cited for driving on a suspended license, the person admits knowledge of the cancellation or suspension, or receives notice from a court or other adjudicatory body.

If this third offense and two previous offenses occur within a five year period, you will be labeled by the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (Department of Motor Vehicles) as a Habitual Traffic Offender. Habitual Traffic Offender (HTO) status in Florida results in a five-year driver’s license revocation. A person classified as a Habitual Traffic Offender cannot even obtain a hardship license until a full year has elapsed from their most recent conviction.

For a first offense, assuming you are convicted, jail time is highly unlikely (it happens, but most judges don't go after first offenders that hard). You're likely looking at 6 months probation and a fine/court costs.

If you need clarification or additional information, please reply, and I'll be happy to assist you further. Thank you.

If you have further questions or need clarification about this matter, please reply, and I'll be happy to assist you. Otherwise, kindly remember to leave me a positive rating (3-5 stars) as that is the only way experts on this site are paid for our time and expertise, even if you have previously left a deposit. Thank you.