Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney
Experience:  18+ years of high-volume criminal defense work from arraignment through plea or trial.

I currently have 7 points on my NYC license and received a

Customer Question

I currently have 7 points on my NYC license and received a speeding ticket for driving 59mph in a 35mph zone. If i plead guilty to the speeding ticket my license will get suspended and will lose my job. What should I do?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 7 months ago.

Have you taken the NYS Safe Driver's class? If you haven't, even if this ticket gets you to more than 11 points, you could get up to four of them removed by taking the safe driving class and be able to avoid a suspension of your license. Otherwise, you'll have to fight the case or try to negotiate a disposition where you plead to something that gives you a total of less than 11 points over the past 18 month period.

If you're going to fight or negotiate a disposition on the case, you should invest in a traffic lawyer. Traffic lawyers are inexpensive as far as lawyers go, because traffic cases are generally resolved very quickly. Addiitonally, losing your job and paying inflated insurance premiums will be far more expensive than paying a lawyer.