Samuel-II
Samuel-II, Attorney
Experience:  I have been handling minor traffic offenses for more than 20 years.
10707909

I am in the process of getting my RDP in Illinois. I am

Customer Question

I am in the process of getting my RDP in Illinois. I am planning on moving to Iowa in the future. Can you tell me what I will have to do to be able to drive in Iowa with a RDP from Illinois.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Samuel-II replied 8 months ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

Because the RDP is issued based on a "hardship" as it pertains to employment; medical; child, elder or disabled persons daycare; educational; support group; or court-ordered community service reasons, it is not going to be valid in another state. If you are moving out of state for employment, when you get to that state, you will need to apply for a Hardship license in that state and you can use the evidence that Illinois issued you a RDP to help support your request.

But until you are given a temporary hardship license from the state where you move, you would be breaking the law of driving without a license in that state. And you also would be violating the conditions of your RDP from Illinois.

Please let me know here if you have other questions or need clarification. Otherwise a Positive rating ensures i get credit for my time.