Nishan Parlakian
Nishan Parlakian,
Experience:  Principal at Consumer Law Office of Nishan Parlakian, Esq.
22033236

I did not return my plates to DMV thinking according to my

Customer Question

I did not return my plates to DMV thinking according to my agent that I still had coverage on the car. The car had been sold to an out of state dealership, I am in NY. I did receive the plates back via fed ex after a period of time. I went to return the plates finding my license had been suspended. How do I appeal this . Advice or phone number to call ?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Why is your license suspended?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
after selling my car I was not aware that I needed to turn the plates in. I contacted my ins. co. state farm who told me that the car was insured until jan 11th of this year. the dealer via phone returned the plates by fed ex. i returned the plates yesterday to find my license had been suspended due to the plate issue. it was past the 90 day mark , their cutoff period for paying a fine. how do i get my license reinstated

Thank you for the information.

You can pay license suspension termination fee online to get your license restored assuming that you do not have anything else on your record that would prevent the license from being reinstated. Click on the link below to start:

http://dmv.ny.gov/pay-suspension-termination-fee

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
actually , i don't think that is correct. when i was at the dmv yesterday, they said that they could not process a fee because the car was uninsured albeit it was sold from sept 19th according to their records. this is longer than the 90 day time limit that is given towards paying a fee. they typically charge 8$ a day which i would have payed but again it was not within the accepted time frame.

Thank you. I will opt out and give another Attorney the opportunity to comment on your case.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
when will i be hearing from the other attorney?
Expert:  Nishan Parlakian replied 9 months ago.

HiCustomer sorry that you have been caught up n the DMV circular web. First did you receive any notice in the mail that your license was suspended? The suspension notice will provide the reason for suspension (which you know) how long the suspension lasts and what you need to do to have your license restored. In this case there is probably a fine or fee levied on you that has to be paid. In this case it is worth your while to put your license information in ti the dmv system and determine what you needs to be done. I can't tell you exactly what to do because I don't have the document or more information to work with. If you want to try going on line-it can't hurt- please give it a shot. This problem should be able to be resolved quickly. If you have anything you want me to review please send it through or contact me off line and I will help further. Best regards, Sean