CriminalDefense
CriminalDefense, Attorney
Experience:  9 + years in Traffic Ticket Defense, DUI/DWI and Criminal Defense cases
9540344

I received a speeding ticket in Mississippi and when I

Customer Question

Hey, I received a speeding ticket in Mississippi and when I called the county clerks office they said I had to go to court to get permission for driving school. My question now is can I maybe talk to the judge (small small town) and maybe get it without going to court. Or should I just go to court and fight it, because they just started pulling everyone over on said road. He passed me then turned around in the middle of the road so not sure how exactly he knew my speed either pretty sure he just guessed. Does Mississippi have any laws like california that if your driving safetly with the flow of traffic it's not speeding
JA: OK. The Traffic Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No.
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Traffic Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else the Traffic Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: The make of the car under the ticket is missing a letter
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Traffic Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  CriminalDefense replied 9 months ago.

You are not going to be able to speak with the Judge prior to your court date. However, when you appear, you can ask for a plea deal or see if the court has any type of diversion program for first time offenders, that you can enroll in. It would be at that time, that you can decide to accept the plea offer to resolve this or set the case for trial and fight it at that time. It would be at trial that you can attack the Officers ability to measure you speed based upon his location and create doubt, as to the accuracy of the speed in which you were alleged to be traveling. It would not be a defense to say you were going with the flow of traffic to justify your speed and if you made that argument, you would be admitting to speeding, which is what you are trying to fight.