CriminalDefense
CriminalDefense, Attorney
Experience:  10 + years in Traffic Ticket Defense, DUI/DWI and Criminal Defense cases
9540344

I received a ticket in outskirts of Grapeland, TX. (80 in 60

Customer Question

I received a ticket in outskirts of Grapeland, TX. (80 in 60 mph zone) where the normal 75 mph suddenly drops to 60 mph. Can you recommend anyone effective in the dismissal
of such a ticket? Jennifer L. Ferguson
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  CriminalDefense replied 1 year ago.

Jennifer, good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. No attorney can or will promise or guarantee the dismissal of a moving violation. Be aware of that. It is certainly in your best interest to retain a traffic ticket defense attorney to represent you. The first thing which they will want to do, is review the face of the citation and see if there is a legal basis to get it dismissed. If not, they will then have to look over the facts of the case and decide if it is in your best interest to work out a plea deal or to take the case to trial and make the State prove the allegation(s) against you. The officer will need to be present. If he/she fails to appear at trial, the case will likely be dismissed, unless a continuance is granted by the Judge, upon the showing of good cause. If the officer does appear, your attorney will be given a chance to cross examine them and attack their credibility. The attorney is going to want to inspect their documents and log book, to make sure that the speed measuring device was properly calibrated, that they have the citation logged and are certified to use the equipment. Moreover, they will question them about their training and experience, trying to create doubt that they may have not known what they were doing and improperly measured your speed. They will also raise any other possible defenses, which you may have, to try and obtain a finding of not guilty. With that being said, the Texas Bar has an attorney referral service set up, which you can use to find counsel in that county.(###) ###-####(Toll Free), Monday - Friday, CST, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The call-in service is closed on legal holidays.