Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
10285032

I just received a letter ticket from June 12, 1998. The

Customer Question

I just received a letter for traffic ticket from June 12, 1998. The letter is from
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Sorry,. I got a letter from Linebarger, Goggan, Blair & Simpson, LLP- Urbandale, iowa. They are collecting for a Traffice ticket from 1998, for the County of Poweshiek. It was for speeding. Is there a statute of limitations for collection on this fine? It has been 18 years as of June 12..
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Traffic Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Once a traffic citation is issued the statute of limitations stops running. If the violator does not appear in court on the court date, the court can enter this as a conviction and a fine is due. There is no time limit to collect fines, if there were people would simply ignore the citations and never pay. So you are going to have to negotiate some payment with them to close out the citation or they can even file it with the Iowa DMV who can place a hold on your license which can prevent other states from renewing your license.