Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
10285032

I bought a 2009 GMC Acadia and have had it less than 2 yrs

Customer Question

I bought a 2009 GMC Acadia and have had it less than 2 yrs and have had more engine problems and heater/defrost/AC problems and electric window problems than any vehicle I have ever owned. Is this considered under the lemon law especially considering the dealership always refused to fix anything?
Category: Traffic Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no answer??
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. I apologize for the delay as the experts are not employees of this site and are trying to get to multiple customers as fast as possible.
Unfortunately, the lemon law in MI covers only purchase of new vehicles, not used vehicles. If the vehicle you have is a 2009 and you have had it 2 years, then it was a used vehicle and the only protection you have regarding this would be under any written warranty you have on the vehicle. Absent written warranty, the law in MI is used vehicle purchases are considered as is, meaning that the buyer is liable for any defects.
The only other possibility is that you need another mechanic to be able to determine some actual defect exists in the manufacture of the vehicle to seek to sue GMC for product liability for defective manufacture.
Absent defective manufacture, you would have to bring any claim under any warranty you have as breach of contract. If there is no warranty, then I am afraid you would have to pay a mechanic to try to repair it, but the dealer or manufacturer would not be liable.