Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
10285032

Ill. registered IRP trucks must mount the license plate on

Customer Question

Customer: Ill. registered IRP trucks must mount the license plate on the front of the truck. when you cross the state line into In. they will ticket you for improper display because In. law requires the plate to be on the rear of the truck. I say if the truck was registered in In. they would be right, but my truck is registered in Ill. Is there a code that backs this up?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I carry a copy of the IRP credentials and plate display instructions in the truck saying "apportioned license plates must be displayed on the front of straight trucks and tractors" Most officers read this and let me go but not all. Indiana code says rear of trucks .
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Sec. 3-413. Display of registration plates, registration stickers, and drive-away permits; registration plate covers.
(a) Registration plates issued for a motor vehicle other than a motorcycle, trailer, semitrailer, truck-tractor, apportioned bus, or apportioned truck shall be attached thereto, one in the front and one in the rear. The registration plate issued for a motorcycle, trailer or semitrailer required to be registered hereunder and any apportionment plate issued to a bus under the provisions of this Code shall be attached to the rear thereof. The registration plate issued for a truck-tractor or an apportioned truck required to be registered hereunder shall be attached to the front thereof.
The State of Indiana also requires the apportioned plate to be on the front of the truck, see: http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.irponline.org/resource/resmgr/notifications/in_memo_9.15.14.pdf and also: http://www.in.gov/dor/files/cmvg.pdf
However, because the trucks are in interstate commerce, they require apportioned registration in each state and must comply with those state laws.