How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CriminalDefense Your Own Question
CriminalDefense, Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 25915
Experience:  10 + years in Traffic Ticket Defense, DUI/DWI and Criminal Defense cases
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
CriminalDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Bangsil. I just got a speeding ticket mph in a 65 mph zone

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** Bangsil. I just got a speeding ticket for 83 mph in a 65 mph zone at NY I-390 hours earlier.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I was traveling from NJ to home in Orchard Park, NY passing thru I-390 at 10:05am & got the speeding ticket. I was going downhill so I estimate my speed at 75 mph instead of 83mph the officer claimed on laser.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Traffic Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  CriminalDefense replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. Can you share with me what you would like to know?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How many points and fees I have to pay. D I need to plead not guilty?
Expert:  CriminalDefense replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. You want to review the face of the citation at this time and see if you can elect to simply pay the citation. If so, you can and it is an admission of guilt and you would pay the fine as ordered on the citation and close the case out. If you want to contest this you can and can request a court hearing. When you appear, you can raise any defenses which you may have or try and work out a plea deal. I know you shared that you thought you were going 75, not 83 but you would still be admitting to speeding, which is the basis of the violation. You can see if the court would reduce the speed and possible lower the fine but there is no guarantee. You could also retain an attorney. The first thing which they will want to do, is review the face of the citation and see if there is a legal basis to get it dismissed. If not, they will then have to look over the facts of the case and decide if it is in your best interest to work out a plea deal or to take the case to trial and make the State prove the allegation(s) against you. The officer will need to be present. If he/she fails to appear at trial, the case will likely be dismissed, unless a continuance is granted by the Judge, upon the showing of good cause. If the officer does appear, your attorney will be given a chance to cross examine them and attack their credibility. The attorney is going to want to inspect their documents and log book, to make sure that the speed measuring device was properly calibrated, that they have the citation logged and are certified to use the equipment. Moreover, they will question them about their training and experience, trying to create doubt that they may have not known what they were doing and improperly measured your speed. They will also raise any other possible defenses, which you may have, to try and obtain a finding of not guilty.

Expert:  CriminalDefense replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Related Traffic Law Questions