Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
10285032

I just received a speeding ticket in NY. The ticket I got

Customer Question

I just received a speeding ticket in NY. The ticket I got was a form that was printed directly on the officer's in-car "computer system." The face of the ticket lists a location code (6068) and correctly states that the location was the Taconic State Parkway. But, the ticket does not state the direction of travel. The ticket was automatically accompanied by a "supporting deposition" as a second page of the printed form. The supporting deposition DOES correctly note the direction of travel. Questions: i) is the TICKET itself facially invalid for not listing the direction of travel?; and ii) is the supporting deposition (where the direction of travel IS set forth) legally a "part" of the ticket itself (thus negating the error on the ticket itself; and iii) if the answer to question (ii) is "no," do I thus have a case to argue for a facial defect in the ticket itself?
Thank You
Mike Saltzman
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The fact the ticket does not have the direction does not invalidate the citation I am sorry to say. The supporting deposition would be sufficient. The ticket needs to have only the general information sufficient to identify the driver, vehicle, location and time of the incident, so the citation is facially valid even without the direction of travel because direction of travel is not a mandatory requirement on the citation.
The Supporting Deposition sets forth the details of the alleged violation. Generally, you need to still plead not guilty, because many times when you go to court the prosecutor will negotiate with you and many times they will offer to reduce the speed or reduce the citation completely to a equipment violation and not a moving violation, which means you have no points or surcharges on your license.