Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney
Experience:  18+ years of high-volume criminal defense work from arraignment through plea or trial.
18321761

I LIVE IN FAIRFAX COUNTY,VA. I HAVE BEEN CHARGED WITH

Customer Question

I LIVE IN FAIRFAX COUNTY,VA. I HAVE BEEN CHARGED WITH RECKLESS DRIVING 89/65. I AM GWU STUDENT AND I DON'T WANT TO RUIN MY FUTURE.
DO YOU KNOW HOW IT CAN BE RESOLVED.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

As you probably already know, reckless driving is a class 1 misdemeanor in Virginia that carries a maximum possible incarceratory penalty of a year in jail and a fine of up to $2,500, a 6 month suspension of your driver's license and 6 points on your driving license. Additionally, you would end up with a criminal conviction.

How easily this matter can be resolved is going to depend upon the facts and circumstances of the case, but if you're concerned about your future, you should make sure that you retain a criminal lawyer to assist you in this process. If you are unable to afford one, you can plead not guilty and ask the court to appoint you a public defense attorney. It is possible that a criminal lawyer can negotiate a reduction of the charges to a traffic violation such as improper driving. This may get you fines and points and something on your driving record, but it would keep your criminal record clean. If that's not possible, you may be eligible for a deferred adjudication. That would consist of you pleading guilty to the charge and essentially working off your conviction by paying fines, doing some community service, taking a safe driving course, and staying out of further with the law during a period of supervision. Complete everything successfully and your case would be dismissed and you'd avoid a conviction on your record.

Both of these dispositions are more than possible on a first offense of this nature. However, they may have to be negotiated for you, which is why, for best results, you should have a lawyer for this case.