CriminalDefense
CriminalDefense, Attorney
Experience:  9 + years in Traffic Ticket Defense, DUI/DWI and Criminal Defense cases
9540344

I just received a ticket with a suspended license 't know

Customer Question

Customer: I just received a ticket for driving with a suspended license don't know how to proceed. I cannot afford it to be on my criminal record. I work a the local nuclear power plant and will lose my job.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I live in Connecticut and was pulled over for speeding on my way to work. The officer asked for license and registration and came back telling me my license was suspended. I told him I did not know that. He said that he had to have my car towed. He told me that I have to show up in court next Monday. Then he waited for the tow truck, gave me a ticket, and left.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Traffic Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  CriminalDefense replied 11 months ago.

Good evening. Did he tell you or do you know why at this time it was suspended?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He did not.

Thank you. Tonight, you can try looking online, to see if you can discover the basis for the suspension and I have provided a link below. If that does not reveal anything, you need to contact them in the morning and ask and if that fails, call the clerk of court, to see. The reason for this is because you need and want to cure the reason for the suspension prior to court and appear with a valid license. If you can do this, the State may dismiss the charge, since you were without knowledge and remedied it once you found out. If they will not, then you need to decide if you want to fight this and have them show you knew it was suspended. If there is no evidence of this, you could have a defense.

https://www.dmvselfservice.ct.gov/LicenseStatusService.aspx

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
But I have never had a DUI and have paid all my tickets. The only guess that I have on why it is suspended is for too many tickets.

Yes, that could be a reason and if so, you should have been mailed notice of the suspension. Here is an additional link to use. Now, if that is the reason, then it is going to be based upon if they sent you notice and you were aware that your license was suspended.

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=813&q=531594

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If they sent me a notice, I did not receive it.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
does that mean when I go to court I plea not guilty since I had no knowledge of the suspension?

Yes, you may want to do that. You can speak with the prosecutor and advise them of the situation, you were without notice and that had you known, you would not have driven. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. Thank you.

Hi, are you still with me?