Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  Licensed Attorney
11182422

My brother got in a t and run collision and continued on

Customer Question

My brother got in a hit and run collision and continued on driving on the freeway. The person he cut off/hit got his licence plate and the police have contacted him after my brother called in 2hrs after the incident and filed a report that he was involved in a collision and he fled the scence. He called after a police officer went to his past residence and was asking for him. So he decided to call before the officer was able to contact him. when he spoke ti the officer he admitted to fleeing the scene and noticed because he was scared and didn't know what to do. The police officer wants to meet him tomorrow and see the car which has just a minor small scratch. He said he might get charged with a hit and run. It doesn't look like it was an accident. Should he fully tell the cops what he did and how he realizes it was wrong. Or should he get a lawyer and let him interact with the police? My brother is also recently in the army so I don't know how this will affect him there. Thank YOu!
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 11 months ago.

Good evening, and thank you for your question. Simply put, anyone who believes that they are the subject of the criminal investigation should not talk to the police directly. It's that simple. Your brother should contact a criminal defense attorney, and direct any questions Related to this matter to that criminal defense attorney. Your brother should not admit to anything, he should not express remorse, and he should keep his mouth shut. There's nothing that he can say at this point that can help the situation in less it sent through an attorney. The only thing that will happen is that he will end up making the situation worse for himself.

Please forgive the typographical error in that paragraph. I intended to say that there is nothing that he can see in the situation unless it is said through his attorney.

AutoCorrect is killing me here! Hopefully, you understood what I was trying to say. Please let me know if anything said was unclear. Thank you