Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
10285032

I have a 2014 Chevy Equinox with approximately 18000 miles

Customer Question

I have a 2014 Chevy Equinox with approximately 18000 miles on it. It has been in the Stonebriar Chevrolet service area 5 times for a dead battery plus several other times we just jumped it at home. If we leave it for 3-4 days it will not start. Nobody can find the answer. Is this Lemon Law?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 12 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
While you DO have a warranty claim, under the Texas lemon law, to qualify and bring a claim, you must meet the 4 times test. The Texas law says you must bring the vehicle in two times for the same problem or defect within the first 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever comes first, and twice more during the 12 months or 12,000 miles following the first repair attempt, and the problem is still not repaired - you pass the four-times test (so it is first 24 months or 24,000 miles total).
Thus, if your vehicle fits this criteria, which it seems it does, you seem to fit the lemon law. Your next step is to give the manufacturer notice in writing with a copy of the dealer that this is their final notice and that you are demanding the vehicle be replaced pursuant to the Texas Lemon Law. If they refuse, your first step is a complaint to the Texas DOT with a $35 check for them to pursue your claim. If they cannot resolve the dispute, then you can get a hearing before an administrative judge (but most times they resolve these disputes).