Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
10285032

I'm not sure if the duplicate title application form that I

Customer Question

I'm not sure if the duplicate title application form that I sent (cert./reg. mail) to CA DMV recently was sent to the correct address. If it was sent to the wrong division, will it be auto-matically forwarded to the correct department? I didn't apply online because the application
required a notary public signature. I can't find my UPS tracking receipt (naturally) so I'm
beginning to panic (renewal due early Jan 2016) Any suggestions? Thanks, *****
(P.S. Was there a mailing address on the application hard copy? If so, I must have used that)
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you sent it to the CA DMV, even if it went to the wrong DMV address, the DMV will forward it to the proper department. The DMV receives documents all of the time at different addresses and they forward the documents to the proper department for handling.

You can call DMV (if you can get through on the phone) and they can check the status on your application or you can go into DMV personally and they can check the status in the computer, but those are your only choices for tracking the status without your tracking number to prove delivery.