Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney
Experience:  18+ years of high-volume criminal defense work from arraignment through plea or trial.
18321761

I have an upcoming arrainment on a suspended license this is

Customer Question

Hello i have an upcoming arrainment for driving on a suspended license this is my 2nd offense. I was put on a 3 yr summary probation the 1st and completed 80 hr of community service and a fee of $224 i just want to know what should i expect first case happened in 2013.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

In California, a second offense for driving on a suspended license within 5 years of the first has a minimum of 10 days in jail up to a maximum of a year, and a fine of anywhere from $500 to $1,000. If your first suspension was due to a DUI, the penalties are even greater: the fine possibilities goup to $2,000 and the incarceratory minimum is 30 days.

California penalties are harsh, and additionally you've violated the terms of your summary probation, so you face that problem along with the new case. You need a lawyer to negotiate a package for you. Sometimes this charge can be bargained down to a traffic infraction or to a lesser included offense such as driving without a valid license.