Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  Former Asst State Attorney/Hearing Officer
17897874

My car cut off in the middle of the street while I was with

Customer Question

My car cut off in the middle of the street while I was with my girlfriend.. The police pulled up 15 mins later asking me for my driver license.. they didn't have probable cause because I wasn't being pulled over.. long story short my car was impounded because they said I was dwl suspended although my girlfriend was driving but I got in the driver seat to see what was wrong with the car
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, an Illinois licensed attorney and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, there is nothing illegal about a police officer ASKING to see an ID. They do not need a warrant or probable cause to ask for ID or even to ask to search a bag.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Additionally, if the owner of a car which is stopped on a public road has no license then there is lawful justification in having it impounded since the owner can not drive it away. Now, if they wanted to be nice they could have just asked your girlfriend to drive it home for you, but it is not required they do so and, apparently, they were not interested in being nice.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not necessarily a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?