P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  12+ yrs. of legal experience.
11181181

I live in CA. Just bought a 1985 small (20ft) Rv in Phoenix.

Customer Question

I live in CA.
Just bought a 1985 small (20ft) Rv in Phoenix. It didn't make it back to my house- broke down. I just learned the problem is that a part that's obsolete is broken (why he sold it probably). So vehicle is junk. Paid 5k. Do I have any rights here?
-mike
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** have over 16 years experience in the law. Should you like to chat on the phone I am happy to for a nominal cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested I am happy to give you more details.

I am sorry for this dilemma Mike

When you purchase an item like an RV, in Arizona, unless there is a warranty provided by the seller, the purchase is "as is".

To answer your question, do you have rights...you have the right to sue the seller.

But perhaps the better question is, would it be worth the effort.

Again, with no warranty the sale was "as is".
So to sue and force the seller to return your money, you have to prove that the seller misled you.

Arizona law places a duty for both sides of a contract to negotiate in good faith...basically, if you are trying to sell an item, you are not permitted to lie to the buyer during the negotiations.

If you can prove the seller lied to you...knew about this problem and took steps to conceal it. THat would be a basis to void the sale (so you get your money back)

You mention that there is a broken part....if you can prove he knew about this and misled you? That would be a basis to void the sale

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.