LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years experience in the practice of law, including representation of clients in Traffic Court.
15277592

If the stop sign is only put on 1 side the other lanes of

Customer Question

if the stop sign is only put on 1 side the other lanes of traffic have the right of way? Even though everyone is treating is as a 4 way stop except 1 person who ran through the light and hit me?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Temporary signs placed at an intersection ONLY have an effect on traffic in that direction of travel. A sign for one direction of travel---temporary or permanent---has no effect on other directions.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, don't mean to be thick headed about this, but the other party didn't have any obligation to stop even though the light was not working in his direction either?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

As I said, the temporary stop sign only effected your lane of travel. If there was no temporary sign for the other direction, and the 4 way traffic signal was out, then they were obligated to stop and proceed when safe. The placement of a temporary stop sign for one direction does not effect the obligation to stop for other directions if the signal light is not functioning.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug