LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years experience in the practice of law, including representation of clients in Traffic Court.
15277592

I need a police officer preferably to answer my question, if

Customer Question

Hey I need a police officer preferably to answer my question, if not then someone who knows the law in Georiga. I was pulled over by a police officer for speeding. The thing is I was on i 75 and the cop was at the top of an exit ramp. Isn't there some law that states that a cop has to be visible before he can pull someone over? Clearly there was no way I could see him until he was in my rear view mirror. The conditions were it was daytime, the weather was clear and traffic was light.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. Not only am I a former police officer, I am also a licensed GA attorney.

Unfortunately no, there is no law in the state of Georgia requiring that a police officer must be visible to a motorist whom they decide to pull over and cite with a speeding violation. The police often park on both off-ramps and on-ramps and set up both traffic surveillance as well as use radar or laser for speed determination, and this is all perfectly legal.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.

Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,

Doug