Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
10285032

My 16 year old daughter got a violation a vechile out of

Customer Question

my 16 year old daughter got a violation for driving a vechile out of class. Violation number 509-2 . New York Sate allows driving 16 year olds to drive back and forth to school but New York City does not. Will her license be suspended because of this ticket. Can you ticket be challenged.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If your daughter has a junior license, her license would only be suspended if she received a severe violation or two regular citations. Driving out of class is a regular citation, so if that was the only violation she would not be suspended for that one violation, but a second violation would get a 60 day suspension. For a severe violation (speeding, red light, dui, accident) a 60 day suspension is imposed.

You can fight the citation and should go to court and plead not guilty, but it is a bit difficult if she was in NYC and was driving when she was not supposed to be under her junior license. The reason I say go to court and plead not guilty is that many times the prosecutors will offer a deal such as a reduced fine or a deferred adjudication, meaning she would pay the fine and if she did not get another ticket in 6 months they would agree to dismiss this ticket to keep it from going on her license.